Physician Assistants & Nurse Practitioners
What is a Physician Assistant (PA)?
- Part of the U.S. healthcare system since the 1960s, physician assistants (PAs), are licensed or certified health professionals who provide a broad range of medical and surgical services under the supervision of a physician.
- PAs can both diagnose and treat illness and injuries.
- Our PAs work in partnership with our physicians to help ensure that we provide our patients with efficient and effective care.
- Whenever one of our qualified PAs is seeing patients in the office, during hospital rounds or when assisting in surgeries, the supervising physician is immediately available for consultation either in person or by telephone.
- Your physician has ultimate responsibility for your health and welfare.
What is the Difference between a PA and a Physician?
- PAs and physicians receive medical training in similar ways and often attend the same classes. The primary differences are the amount of time spent in school and in postgraduate training.
Can PAs Prescribe Medications?
- In Florida, PAs are authorized to write and sign some prescriptions without a physician co-signature.
What Does the "C" in PA-C Mean?
- This means that the PA has passed the certification exam developed by the National Board of Medical Examiners and administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- All PAs are certified by the NCCPA.
At Florida Orthopaedic Institute, our highly trained and specialized orthopedic team includes a nearly 30 physician assistants and nurse practitioners—health care providers who are trained and licensed to practice orthopedic medicine with limited supervision of a physician. Without these invaluable orthopedic experts, Florida Orthopaedic Institute would not be able to function to the high degree it does now.
The following is a list of our physician assistants and nurse practitioners and the physicians whom they assist:
|Physician Assistant (PA)/Nurse Practitioner (ARNP)||Assisting|
|Nicole Allen, PA-C||Dr. Infante|
|Melissa Clinton, PA-C||Dr. Small & Dr. Weinstein|
|Jeff Hamelin, PA-C||Dr. Frankle|
|Susan Heinrichs, PA-C||Dr. Gustke|
|Leanne Henderson, PA-C||Dr. Morse|
|Cheryl Henson, PA-C||Dr. Clare|
|Anthony Hudson, PA-C||Dr. Gasser & Dr. Hess & Dr. Sanders|
|Kathy Jenkins, PA-C||Dr. Echols|
|Dawnne Karsky, PA-C||Dr. Stone|
|Lori Golden Luna, PA-C||Dr. Small|
|Jessica McCabe, PA-C||Dr. Watson|
|Mauricio Polanco, PA-C||Dr. Bernasek|
|Jonathan Runion, PA-C||Dr. Bernasek|
|Austin Thompson, PA-C||Dr. Infante|
|Leticia Worsham, PA-C||Dr. Infante|
|Brian Yates, PA-C||Dr. Bernasek|
|Dezbah Zevin, PA-C||Dr. Lyons|
|Melissa Erb, ARNP-BC||Dr. Billys|
|Ann Gowski, ARNP||Dr. Billys & Dr. Weinstein|
|Elizabeth Peirano, ARNP-BC||Dr. Garlick|
|Charles Procuniar, ARNP||Dr. Castellvi|
|Jessica Rollings, ARNP-BC||Dr. Sagi & Dr. Sanders & Dr. Watson|
|Deborah Sauls, NP-C||Dr. Jackson|
|Julia Scaduto, ARNP||Dr. Herscovici|
|Gina Tamargo, ARNP||Dr. Sanders|